For more information, contact Paul Rosstead.
Calvary Baptist Church is located on Eighth Street, between G and H Streets in northwest Washington. There are three interconnected buildings that provide the physical space for the ministries of this faith community and our resident partners. Space is also available for outside groups’ programs and events, please contact our Church Administrator for availability and facility use fees.
The Sanctuary Building, was built in 1865 through the generosity of Amos Kendall, houses our Sanctuary with a seating capacity of approximately 800 on the main level and balcony. The first floor houses Kendall Hall with 5 classrooms, small kitchen and restrooms. Our Adult Sunday school classes meet in Kendall Hall and up to 30 overnight guests can be accommodated with foam mattresses that are placed on the floors of the classrooms.
The Woodward Building, was built in 1894 through the generosity of Samuel W. Woodward (of the Woodward & Lothrop Department Store) and support of the congregation. The Woodward Building houses a commercial kitchen; Children’s Center, with weekly daycare provided by Milestones Enrichment Center; the church library (currently displaying memorabilia from the church’s long history); Woodward Hall, one of our two social halls, with a small stage for theatrical performances and where our Fellowship Hour is held following Sunday worship. There are also offices for the Washington Youth Choir and Theatre Lab.
The Greene Building, was originally built in 1929, the building facade was preserved and incorporated in the new building during the reconstruction that was completed in 2005. The Greene Building houses the church offices; Shallenberger Hall, another of our two social halls; a small gym; restrooms with shower facilities; Chapel; Music Suite, with rehearsal room, office and recording facilities; children’s and youth Sunday school classrooms; teen room; church archives; two kitchens; the offices for Brainfood and Kid Power and a computer lab operated by Kid Power.